Putonghua / Putonghua Adjusted Curriculum
- Cultivate students' language skills in listening, speaking, and reading, as well as their self-learning abilities.
- Enhance students' language knowledge related to Putonghua and their understanding of Chinese culture.
- Increase students' interest in learning Putonghua, and foster good learning attitudes and habits.
Key Features of the Curriculum:
- J.4 to J.6 are divided into Putonghua Group and Putonghua Adjusted Curriculum (PAC) Group based on their abilities. The Putonghua Group is taught entirely in Putonghua, while the PAC Group incorporates a small amount of Cantonese and English explanations, with school-based worksheets catering to the needs of non-Chinese students.
- Classroom instruction focuses on phonetics to develop students' listening and speaking abilities in Putonghua as the primary goal, with additional emphasis on developing reading-aloud skills, pinyin-spelling abilities, and enhancing language and cultural knowledge related to Chinese.
- Establish a classroom framework for teaching phonetics, with pre-learning and extended practice to further consolidate students' ability to distinguish the consonants and the vowels of Putonghua.
- Utilize various teaching elements in the classroom, such as role-playing, situational teaching, group readings, phonetic games, children's songs, and other activities, to allow students to experience the joy of learning Putonghua.
- The school provides iPads to students for borrowing in order to encourage them to self-study through different online learning platforms.